Monday, September 2, 2013

Second Entry

On to the poetry section of the summer assignment. Taking the poetry multiple choice. Knowing that poetry was really flowery and artsy, I expected alot of difficult, ambiguous questions. Not really. Many of the questions were about flat out understanding, not interpretation (What of the following does not characterize the lady?). A couple questions just had stupid answers (...final stanzas serve what purpose? Answer: no purpose). Some questions were reminders from my standarized days, with questions such as "what is indicated" and the ambiguous stuff I mentioned earlier. Several questions, though, disappointed me because they were asking about practically flat out memorization (Stanzas in this poem are, or Selection is example of what kind of poetry?). I mean, come on. Yes, knowing the types of stanzas could enhance one's ability to understand and write poems. Yes, knowing what kind of poem the poem is is important to approach it. But I feel like memorizing the type is heresy. Give me math, give me science where there is logic, pure logic, and I understand Why what I am learning fits and operates. Poetry, as art, is as convoluted and confusing as the human mind. No one can understand it. That is why the brain is the most un-mapped organ of the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment